Louisiana Dowry-Mahr Cases
- 2014: Shaheen v. Khan [142 So.3d 257] Community property law of acquets and gains applies to Indian Mahr marriage contract entered in India.
- 2012: Ghassemi v. Ghassemi [103 So.3d 401] Limiting Property of wife to Iranian Mahr is against the directives of La. Civil Code.
- 1970: Mitchell [231 So.2d 414] wife may obtain a separation, though she brought no dowry. LSA-C.C. Art.2425
- 1974: Succession of Thumfart [289 So. 2d 850] There having been no marriage contract, this is a case where “the wife has not brought any dowry”, and art. 2382 is not inapplicable.
RELEVANT CODE SECTIONS
- 1969: Community of Acquets and Gains – Antenuptial Obligations of the Husband – Article 2403
Louisiana Law Review, Volume 29, Number 2.